A look at some advertising items from Washington State breweries, saloons and other liquor merchants, where they were located and what that area looks like today.
Martin J. Lutz first opened a saloon in Seattle in 1898. It was located at 115 Columbia St. and was called "The Pioneer". The following year he moved to a better location at 85 Columbia. Here he re-opened and called the new place "Pioneer Exchange". The business remained at this location until closed by Prohibition in 1915. During 1901 the business was enlarged to include both 83 and 85 Columbia St. Also was the slight change in naming from "Pioneer Exchange" to "Pioneer's Exchange". This may seem minor but note the different spelling on the two coffin flasks produced by the business. Another important change was the incorporation of the company in 1904. We know that one of these coffin flasks dates from this period of time and the other is before this period. Since the company picnic flask has the "Inc." embossed on it, it would also be after 1903. Martin Lutz left the business to a Mr. Weidlich shortly after the year 1912.
A postcard of the corner of Columbia St and Western Ave. (the Pioneer's Exchange was located just beyond the telephone pole mid-block at 83 & 85 Columbia St.) in Seattle (circa 1909).
Photo Courtesy: Google Street View
Photo Courtesy: Google Street View
The Kirkwood Distillery Co. began in 1905 and filed its articles of incorporation on January 24, 1906 by Charles Doychert, Archie Ash and Joseph Cohn and was located at 915 Sprague Ave. in Spokane. By late 1906 they were located on Railroad Ave. and and next moved to 421-423 First St. in 1907. In 1909 they were located at 208 The Rookery until closing its doors for good in 1910.
Note: In 1905 A. Binnard and A.S. Ash filed articles of incorporation for both the Peerless Hotel Company of Oroville, California and the Combination Liquor Company of Spokane. For many years he was a traveling salesman for the Kirkwood Distillery Company of Spokane, and in 1911 and 1912, while still living in Spokane, he was a partner with Aaron L. Jaffe in Jaffe-Binnard Company, dealers in wholesale liquors in San Francisco. The 1914 directory of Butte, Montana lists Abe Binnard as a clerk for the Cross Road Liquor Company.
A photo of the Santa Rita Hotel and Kirkwood Distilling Co. in Spokane (circa 1907).
Photo Courtesy: Google Street View
The Gill & Gill saloon started in business at 806 Front St. (later re-named First Ave) in Seattle in 1894 by John and Thomas Gill and remained at that location until Prohibition came to Washington State in 1915. The Gill's were proficient boosters of the city and its causes by regularly contributing to local events such as donating 3 bottles of wine to a charity event in 1898; money to help build a battleship at the local Moran Brothers shipyard and promoting the big local B.P.O.E. (Elks) event in 1907. They had a local archetect design and construct the "Gill Building" in Seattle for them around 1906 and they fought the mayor along with other saloon keepers and liquor merchants of the city when the mayor tried to close down all liquor establishments in 1913. After Prohibition, the 806 1st Ave address had become a soda fountain, buffet and cigar store. In July, 1916, John Gill was arrested and ordered to pay a $200 fine for selling liquor during Prohibition. Thomas Gill died in Seattle on October 9, 1930.
A somewhat faded photo showing the Gill & Gill Saloon located at 806 1st Ave. in Seattle (circa 1905).
Photo Courtesy: Google Street View
Established in Healdsburg, California on June 26, 1886 Mr. Louis Jaffe purchased the Pridham Vineyards (re-naming it the Wine Creek Winery) which comprised of 264 acres of wine and brandy grapes. The Jaffe Liquor Co. began business in Seattle on August 4, 1889, just months after the great fire had swept the city. Circumstances forced Jaffe to set up at a location on what was then known as Old Mill Street just above Third Avenue South in a 15x70 ft tent. It was around 1893 that the firm began to show up in city listings and its business was closely tied in with the Imperial Liquor Company whose owner was Joseph L. Jaffe. Throughout its existence it was both a retail and wholesale establishment located at 115-117 Second Avenue South. Jaffe & Co. also owned a saloon in Spokane and a retail/wholesale location from 1892-1915 which closed due to Prohibition.
A postcard photo of Jaffe & Co. located at 115-117 2nd Ave. in Seattle (circa 1914).
Photo Courtesy: Google Street View