When the Spokane Hotel went into bankruptcy in 1893, William S. Norman bought and remodeled it into what was termed “The finest hotel in the Inland Empire.” From there Norman went on to purchase the posh Tacoma Hotel and the North Yakima Hotels. Being an hotelier took Norman into the liquor business and in 1900, he commissioned architect and designer Kirtland Cutter to make a magnificent restaurant at the Spokane Hotel, named the “Ye Old Silver Grill”, or just the “Silver Grill”. The restaurant was styled in an impressive “English country look” that proved very popular with the hotel’s guests as the restaurant is said to have served some of the finest cuisine in Spokane. Locals also would frequent it for dinner, fine wine and alcoholic drinks. Eventually there were “Silver Grills” in all three of Norman's hotels. Each hotel also contained a liquor store that Norman called “Silver Grill Cellars". Norman claimed not to be a rectifier as he was bottling and selling only straight goods in ceramic jugs of half-gallon and gallon size. Norman’s flagship label was “Viking,” a name he never bothered to trademark and it came in scotch, rye and bourbon forms. His ads claimed that all three were: “Old in Age; Pure in Make and Strong in Spirits.” "Viking" brands were relatively expensive for the times: The scotch sold for $1.50 a quart and the rye and bourbon for $1.00. Another Norman brand was “Let ‘Er Buck" Whiskey.
In October of 1899, Tacoma's Pacific Brewing & Malting Co. purchased property in the city of Everett for a proposed branch brewer; however another group had beat them to it. By the Spring of 1900, the Washington Brewing Co. was in production with Anton Aabling as the plant's first manager. The Northern Brewing. Co. sold its interest in the venture and by 1902 the Columbia Brewing Co. of Tacoma had its people managing the brewery. The Washington Brewing Company was to have a relatively short run. In late 1904 another group of Tacoma investors, backed by PB&M, made a deal to purchase the company and operate the plant until their new, larger brewery was constructed. On September 12, 1909 The Pacific Brewing and Malting Company of Tacoma had taken over the Everett Brewing Company for the sum of $200,000. However, the brewery would soon become a liability and in November 1914, the Everett plant was to be leased to a wholesale grocery house until state-wide prohibition in 1915.
History developed in association with Gary Flynn - Website: www.brewerygems.com
When the Hotel Savoy opened for business the company hired John McDermott as manager. He was formerly of the Palace and St. Francis hotels in San Francisco. The hotel was known as the "Gibraltar" of Seattle, absolutely fire-proof composed of steel, concrete and marble. It's motto was "Twelve Stories of Solid Comfort” and at 12 stories high, it afforded a scenic water view. The president of the Hotel Savoy Company was Edwin F. Sweeny and the dining room was managed by a gentleman from Monte Carlo. The hotel entrance was 1212 2nd Ave; the bar entrance was at 1214 2nd Ave and the cafe entrance was at 1216 2nd Ave. The liquor business lasted until prohibition in 1915 and the building was demolished on August 31, 1986. The site is currently occupied by a 772 foot tall building formerly known as the Washington Mutual Tower.
The Rothchild brothers were listed in business from 1899 to 1915 primarily in the Portland Oregon area. Their Log Cabin Saloon was located at 167 3rd St. in Portland with Turner's Saloon and Ye Oregon Grill in Spokane. They were also associated with various establishments in Oregon and Washington as well. Notably, the Acme Club; Club Cafe; The Log Cabin; Oakes Cafe and Turner's Cafe featured a host of shot glasses and ceramic mugs as part of the advertising for their various businesses.
This ceramic stein is from a Spokane hotel, built in 1894 by Jacob Goetz (aka "Dutch Jake") and Harry F. Baer. This Mettlach stein (c.1897) shows the proprietors names, city, and state and is most likely from their opulent Coeur d'Alene Hotel, which was also home to a theater, a dance hall and Turkish bath. It was advertised as “the place where presidents will be honored to stop” and the “Hotel With A Personality.”, however, the main attraction was its large saloon with multiple bars, lunch counters and gambling activities such as Keno, Roulette, Faro and Stud Poker. When prohibition arrived in Washington in 1916, he and Baer simply closed down the hotel bar and carried on as respectable and successful innkeepers.
The Rathskeller Co. opened in 1903 as the Rathskeller Grill on the corner of Second Ave. and Cherry St. and then later operated as the Rathskeller Buffet located at 1110 Second Ave. It was listed as a saloon from 1904-1905 and then again from 1910 until its closing by Prohibition in 1915 and may have been listed as a cafe or restaurant between 1906-1909.