• Home
  • About Us
  • Background
  • Whiskey
  • Beer
  • Soda & Wine
  • Shot, Dose & Beer Glasses
  • Drug Store/Food Bottles
  • Artifacts
  • What Happened to...
  • Collectors Spotlight
  • Video Gallery
  • Prohibition in Washington
  • Digital Media
  • Events Page
  • Sales Page
  • Contact
  • More
    • Home
    • About Us
    • Background
    • Whiskey
    • Beer
    • Soda & Wine
    • Shot, Dose & Beer Glasses
    • Drug Store/Food Bottles
    • Artifacts
    • What Happened to...
    • Collectors Spotlight
    • Video Gallery
    • Prohibition in Washington
    • Digital Media
    • Events Page
    • Sales Page
    • Contact
  • Home
  • About Us
  • Background
  • Whiskey
  • Beer
  • Soda & Wine
  • Shot, Dose & Beer Glasses
  • Drug Store/Food Bottles
  • Artifacts
  • What Happened to...
  • Collectors Spotlight
  • Video Gallery
  • Prohibition in Washington
  • Digital Media
  • Events Page
  • Sales Page
  • Contact

Antique Bottles & Artifacts from Washington State

Antique Bottles & Artifacts from Washington StateAntique Bottles & Artifacts from Washington StateAntique Bottles & Artifacts from Washington StateAntique Bottles & Artifacts from Washington State

Advertising Beer Glasses

Bellingham Bay Brewery - Whatcom

The history of the Bellingham Bay Brewery (3-B) began when Leopold F. Schmidt, president and owner of the Capital Brewing Company of Tumwater, (soon to become the Olympia Brewing Company), chose the site for the company's newest brewery.  He selected the city of Whatcom as the site for his new plant as it was ideally located on the northern end of Puget Sound, in the northwest corner of Washington State.  In 1902 Whatcom, the quality of brewing water was still as much an issue for Schmidt's 3-B as it was in 1885 as the town used Lake Whatcom for its primary water source. This lake water was rejected as lacking in purity.  Instead the 3-B drilled private wells and established a waterworks on its property "at an expenditure of $8,000" according to a newspaper account.  The brewery was located on North Elk street.  The Bellingham Bay Brewery served a largely local market but 3-B also shipped its "Pale Export" to markets on the Pacific coast, Alaska and Canada. The Alaska market even had its own brand called "Alaska Special Brew".  On January 7, 1910, Schmidt announced that he had leased the brewery and ice plant to Pierre J. Andrae and Edward L. Stowe.  Shortly before the Statewide Prohibition vote, Leopold Schmidt passed away; he spent his last days at his Leopold Hotel in Bellingham, dying on September 24, 1914, without having to witness the destruction of his brewery business.


History developed in association with Gary Flynn - Website: www.brewerygems.com

Seattle Brewing & Malting - Seattle

Andrew Hemrich & John Kopp began their Seattle brewery in early 1883.  From steam beer to lager, the plant saw improvements in brewing, and plant expansion, that eventually became the Bay View Brewing Co.  Then in late 1892, plans were made for the Bay View plant to merge with two others to form the Seattle Brewing and Malting Company.  This "syndicate" was a consolidation (1892) of three plants - the Bay View, founded in 1883; Claussen-Sweeny, established that same year; and Albert Braun Brewing Company, established in 1890.  A brand of beer was then needed to identify the new company's product, and the name of the mountain that dominated the southern view was chosen.  On January 10, 1893, "Rainier" was adopted as one of the brands for the new firm, and soon became their flagship mark.  In 1904, Georgetown incorporated a “company town” safeguarding the business interests of its brewery.  The number of taverns and roadhouses doubled, and by 1905 it required 25 horse teams to daily fill the Seattle appetite for "Rainier Beer".  Production by then had reached 300,000 barrels per annum. The company now employed more than 300 men and there was room to build worker homes beside the Duwamish River that then still curved through Georgetown.  Before Washington State introduced prohibition in 1916, the Georgetown brewery was the largest industrial establishment in the state of Washington.


History developed in association with Gary Flynn - Website: www.brewerygems.com

Hemrich Bros. Brewing Co. - Seattle

In 1897 Alvin M. Hemrich purchased the plant and business of the former North Pacific Brewery. The plant was better known as the old Slorah Brewery, located on Howard Ave. N. (now Yale Ave. N.), between Republican and Mercer streets. The firm was then operated as the Alvin Hemrich Brewing Co.  After six months Alvin was joined by his brother Louis, and Julius Damus, in the organization of the Hemrich Brothers Brewing Company, which was incorporated under the laws of the state on the 4th of February, 1899.  Alvin M. Hemrich was president and manager of the company from the time of its organization, and continued in that capacity until 1915.


History developed in association with Gary Flynn - Website: www.brewerygems.com

Everett/Washington Brewing Co. - Everett

In October of 1899, Tacoma's Pacific Brewing & Malting Co. purchased property in the city of Everett for a proposed branch brewer; however another group had beat them to it.  By the Spring of 1900, the Washington Brewing Co. was in production with Anton Aabling as the plant's first manager.   The Northern Brewing. Co. sold its interest in the venture and by 1902 the Columbia Brewing Co. of Tacoma had its people managing the brewery.  The Washington Brewing Company was to have a relatively short run.  In late 1904 another group of Tacoma investors, backed by PB&M, made a deal to purchase the company and operate the plant until their new, larger brewery was constructed. On September 12, 1909 The Pacific Brewing and Malting Company of Tacoma had taken over the Everett Brewing Company for the sum of $200,000.  However, the brewery would soon become a liability and in November 1914, the Everett plant was to be leased 


History developed in association with Gary Flynn - Website: www.brewerygems.com

Capital/Olympia Brewing Co. - Olympia

The Capital Brewing Company began in 1896 by Leopold F. Schmidt whose business model was "Quality First - Quantity Next."  Brewing commenced at the tiny Tumwater brewery in July of 1896 and their first beer, "Olympia Pale Export", was siphoned by hand from wooden barrels, bottled and placed on the market October 1, 1896.  The Capital Brewing Company became the Olympia Brewing Co. in 1902, and at that time chose the slogan "It's the Water" for its flagship brand "Olympia Beer," in part to explain why the Tumwater lagers tasted so good.  Leopold Schmidt died in 1914.  By then brewing basically ceased in Washington in 1915 due to Prohibition and it allowed brewers one year to deplete their inventory and dismantle their operations.  However, the Schmidt family chose to carry on with near beers called "German Brew", "Lact Dark," an "Olympia Malt Extract" and an "Olympia Artesian Water".  By the early 1920's the Schmidt family controlled a large number of luxury hotels, with a presence in all of the major northwestern cities.  They sold off all their inactive breweries and beverage operations (including the 1906 Tumwater Brewhouse), and concentrated on their Western Hotels chain which would become the nucleus of the present day Westin Hotels.


History developed in association with Gary Flynn - Website: www.brewerygems.com

Bayview Brewing Co. - Seattle

In 1883, Andrew Hemrich and partner John Kopp established a small brewing operation that would eventually become the Rainier Brewery.  Their firm operated under the name of Kopp & Hemrich, and was located south of downtown Seattle.  The brewery was at the base of Beacon Hill, on the corner of 9th Avenue and Hanford Street, and near a spring of pure water.  The "bay view" referred to their vantage of Elliott Bay, which would eventually be obscured by a new building on filled tide lands.  On 11 January of 1893, Bay View joined with the breweries of Albert Braun and Claussen-Sweeney to form a new association - the Seattle Brewing & Malting Company. The brand name eventually chosen for the company's flag-ship beer was "Rainier".  The Bay View plant continued to operate, and in 1906 added a bottling shop and additional refrigeration.  Brewing ceased in August of 1913, with all production shifted to the Sweeney plant in Georgetown, but the bottling works continued operating.


History developed in association with Gary Flynn - Website: www.brewerygems.com


Copyright © 2026 Antique Bottles & Artifacts from Washington State - All Rights Reserved.


Powered by