The "Eagle Sparkling Inc." company of Seattle was started by Nicola Paolella in 1917 and was located at 1810 1/2 King St. in Seattle. The company sold a variety of soft drinks at the time and was then purchased by Michael Nipple in 1918 and who relocated operations to 714 Charles St. The company's name was changed to "Eagle Bottling Works" in 1926 when it moved to 1410-12 Dearborn St. with Nipple still in charge of the business, which by that time was selling seltzer products to a number of local establishments in a variety of (often colored) siphon bottles. By 1935, the company was also selling store fixtures and a second company known as "Eagle Fixture and Equipment" was in operation. The companies remained in the Nipple family until 1963 when "Eagle Bottling Works" was sold to Magnuson & Associates with the company being re-named "Eagle Beverages" in 1964. The company remained in business selling bar supplies to local establishments and closed its operations in 1971.
Brothers Phillip and William Cammarano established the Whistle Bottling Company of Tacoma in 1921. By 1926, the family-run business produced more than 30,000 bottles of soda a day. Some of their most popular flavors were ginger ale, a lemon soda called Double Cola, and Mission Orange. The company occupied several sites through the years, including those at 301 East 25th Street and 2314-18 A Street. The new building, constructed for $50,000, was three times larger than the company's previous location at 301 East 25th. The new plant could turn out 30,000 complete bottles of "soda pop" a day. The company bottled Whistle, Nu-grape, Hires, Green River and other brands, the business closed in 2001 after 80 years of operation in Tacoma.
Paul Glaser was born on Christmas day in 1878 and grew up in the South Seattle neighborhood of Duwamish. His family was poor and as a young teenager, he sold newspapers at 4th and Pike Street in downtown Seattle to help support the family. He went to work for Hemrich’s Staff Products, Co. which had primarily been a beer distribution center. Prohibition, which came to Washington state in 1916, four years earlier than national prohibition forced the company to adapt. With Glaser as its Secretary, Hemrich developed early versions of “soft drinks”, non-alcoholic alternatives to beer, such as Applestaff, Lifestaff, and Bockstaff. From Hemrich, Glaser then went on to establish Glaser Beverages, Inc. in 1927. The company was the largest purveyor of soft drinks in Seattle at the time and was eventually purchased by ALPAC and became one of its divisions in 1958. Glaser Beverages opened a new building at 2300 26th Ave. S. and had its grand opening on 5/28/1961 with entertainment provided by the Kingston Trio and Stan Boreson. Glaser died at the age of 94 in Seattle on 11/26/1973. Prior to his death, Glaser had established the Glaser Foundation which donated generously to both Swedish and Children's Hospitals.
The Zarembo Mineral Springs Co. was founded in 1904 by Frank Wadsworth who was an agent for California's Witter Springs Mineral Water which was located at 115 Marion St. in Seattle. The mineral water sold by the company was transported by ship from Wrangell Alaska to Seattle where it was bottled and sold at the plant located at 1304 Grant St. The water was advertised as the "Most Delightful Invigorating WATER in the World for Health and Pleasure" and won numerous awards in various expositions in the 1905 time frame. Wadsworth died in 1907 with his wife taking over the business until appointing Archibald Rutherford as the plant manager. The Zarembo brand was featured at the Alaska-Yukon-Pacific_Exposition held in Seattle in 1909 and by the end of the exposition, the company declared bankruptcy. The Zarembo brand resurfaced in 1911 when Henry Henke formed the Zarembo Mineral Water Co. located at 1812 9th Ave. in Seattle and later moved 1110 Bailey St. which by 1913 was known as the Coca Cola Bottling Co. The original Zarembo Mineral Springs Bottling plant at 1304 Grant St. was destroyed by arson in early January 1912 and according to Hencke, the building was covered by insurance.
Sam W. Holland, owner of the Washington Liquor Co. was also owner of the Spokane Soda Bottling Works which was operated at the same address from 1895 until being sold to Adam Wieser in 1901. Adam Wieser was in business with R. E. A. Mueller establishing the Castalia Spring vinegar works in Spokane in 1887 and in 1891 changed the name to the New York Bottling Works which was located at 818 Third Ave. He purchased the Spokane Soda Bottling Works from Holland in 1901 and sold it to Fred Schuler in 1905. Wieser remained strictly as a bottler in Spokane and the soda business lasted thru prohibition. Weiser died in July 1918 with his body taken for burial to West Bend, Wisconsin.
The Biggam Brothers began business in 1886 as the Yakima Mineral Springs Company, featuring several different brands of soda including "IronBrew", which was advertised as a "Non-Alcoholic Life Renewer". They bottled some of their earlier sodas in a "Cod-shaped" bottle around the 1903-1904 timeframe which had a marble in its neck and was designed to keep the carbonation inside the bottle from escaping. In 1911, James Biggam along with his brother became sole distributor of the "Kola Nut" soda franchise of Atlanta Ga. for North Yakima. An advertisement in the 1911-1912 Yakima County Business Directory showed them as owners of the Yakima Mineral Springs Company and Yakima Brand Soda Waters which was located at the "End of East Chestnut St". The Biggam Bros sold the business to Robert A. LaBissoniere in 1916.